Monday, 15 October 2012
School at 34 ?
So, I need to do something with my life. I should have done this years ago, should have waited to have kids, etc. That whole boat has left the dock I can't change it. But in all reality I NEED to find a career.
The question is : What do I want to be when I grow up??
This answer isn't as simple as it sounds. I was just talking about this with some friends. My absolute passion is to have my own business. A cafe would be nice. It would have good coffees, teas and other drinks. Good sandwiches and desserts. Maybe soups. Nothing more though. A place where people can come and hang out. Check their email, catch up with old friends, and in the summer, listen to local bands on a small patio or if the place is big enough, a solo artist through the winter, in the front corner . It's all there in my head. I know exactly how I want everything to look and feel. But, this takes an obscene amount of money that we don't have.
So, then I thought maybe I could buy a franchise. Like the one my mom works at. Perhaps some of you have a location near you. It's called Sharkey's Cuts for kids. But again, the money problem. A Sharkey's franchise has grown to a whopping $300,000 . Ya, like THAT'S gonna happen.
Now I'm back at looking at school courses. Ones I can do from home, so I can still do the job I am doing. And are somewhat affordable. I've come back to this one certificate program several times. It's for a "Ward Clerk" . It's 8 courses. On averages $350 a course, plus books. Which isn't too bad if I had extra money to throw at this. I would be able to get a job in a hospital or perhaps a doctors office, or health clinic. According to payscale , I could make $30 -$55 k a year at this job in Ontario.
They are always looking for Ward Clerks, and I am thinking there would be room for advancement if I so desired. Perhaps Ward Management or the likes of. It would be a secure job, with a pension and benefits if I got into the right place. With the large aging population these days, I think it might be a good place to start. They are going to need more and more people to operate in hospitals, nursing homes and doctor's offices. As well as clinic's and home care. This Certificate program would be a stepping stone to many possibilities.
Or so I believe. But is this true? Are they going to need that many "clerks/secretaries" or when I finally finish this course, will there be many more people who have already jumped on the band wagon ahead of me because they had the financial backing that I don't have.
*sigh*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My take is.. when you can get educated, you open the door for more opportunities than you had before. So give it a shot! Let's face it, there are precious few industries where they will ALWAY need people.. I'd say Food & Medical.. so.. if you are falling in either one of these categories, I'd say you'd have a hard time going wrong. Besides, just because someone else jumps on the bandwagon, doesn't mean they won't have space for you, and you've got as good a shot as any of them.. So, if you can, I'd say go for it! :D
ReplyDeleteYou're right. I'm just so full of what if's right now. I feel so lost...
ReplyDeleteI studied at ahe 38 for my CNA training I was the wary feeling of returning to school at this age. Most of the girls were under 20. They seem to be just as nervous. I decided to go into CNA medical as I have a past with working with very ill people and Senior citizens. It only takes one small step to start running.
ReplyDeleteI like that.. one small step. It would be a big step for me, because I need the funding. I think that bothers me the most. I hate being in debt. I hate worrying where money will come from for things. I don't buy myself anything, because I worry that we won't have enough for other things that are more needed.. If I had the extra ..like in savings, Id already be doing a course. But if I have to put it on a credit card, or get a loan, I freak out and won't do it :(
ReplyDelete