Thursday, 8 November 2012

My Mom

On Tuesday October 23rd, my Mom (who is diabetic) had to have a mini surgical procedure to remove slivers of nail from either side of her big toe, to prevent ingrown nails. She's had ingrown nails for many many years, as did I. Mine would get so infected, I couldn't walk so I had the same procedure done like 12 yrs ago. Anyways, she had this done, went home, everything seemed fine. 2 days later she was allowed to go back to work. She went back. Then the next day she was in horrible pain. Her foot had swollen to like 5 times the normal size and she could hardly walk. I told her to go back to the place where she got it done. The lady said it was infected and gave her an RX for pills. The pills didn't work. I made her go to emerg on the Monday.So that's almost a week after the surgery was done. The pills didn't work because it was a "joint infection" and the other lady should have told her to go to the emerg in the first place. So my Mom was put on an IV med. She had to go everyday for a week to get this medication, then go to her family doctor to see if she needs more treatment. She did the week, went to our doctor on Tuesday the 6th of Nov. She said she needed more IV med. But it was only half the amount she got the previous week. So Mom thought it was a good thing and was getting better. 
  Wednesday(yesterday), my Mom is in tears. Her foot is in horrible pain all over again.. worse even. The lady that gives her the IV med is only a nurse, she don't even look at her foot or anything. They just give her the meds. So, I tried desperately last night at about 11 pm to get my mom to go back to the hospital. She wouldn't go until this morning. She's been there since 9 am , they gave her some pain meds and are in the process of giving her an ultra sound. 
 I stupidly Googled "Joint Infection Diabetic" and came across an article that said, that if this is not treated quickly enough, it could result in amputation. 
 *Sigh* WHY did I have to look?!  I'm so upset. If my mom loses her foot, she will forever be in a horrible depression .. it will take her entire livelihood away from her..she loves to be out and about. She LOVES to swim. I know, she can still do all this stuff, but I can totally see her burrowing away somewhere and never do anything again. She wouldn't want anyone to see her like that. 


I guess I'll update this when I know more.. Just had to get my thoughts out I guess..

No comments:

Post a Comment